Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus Dip


One of my favorite discoveries at Trader Joe's is Roasted Red Pepper Hummus. Since I haven't been able get to Columbus recently, I had to try to make my own. Mike and I collaborated on this version and it's full of flavor and low in fat.

We started out discussing the mechanics of how this was going to happen since our food processor, a hand me down from my mom, had recently gone to kitchen gadget heaven. Mike informed me that many of the great chefs of the world could make hummus long before the invention of the food processor. I think this was just Mike furthering his own agenda. (that the only thing a good cook needs is a sharp knife) I whip out this old food mill that once belonged to my grandma and decide that it might be useful for processing the chickpeas. It worked great but proved to be useless with the roasted peppers. Mike whipped out his trusty chef's knife and chopped them to a fine, paste-like texture. I grabbed the camera and proceeded to take pictures while trying to stay out of the way of a genius at work.
This has got to be one of the easiest and most delicious concoctions we have ever made, so here it is.

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus Dip

1 can of garbanzo bean/chickpeas
1/2 small jar of roasted red peppers (about 1 1/2 whole peppers)
1 t. crushed garlic
1 T. low fat sour cream
1 T. extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper


Place the beans in a food processor and pulse until paste-like. Add the roasted red peppers and remaining ingredients and pulse until blended. If the mixture is still too dry, add a tad more olive oil but go easy on the sour cream or it will be too light. Season with salt and pepper to taste.


Notes: We really like garlic so we added a little more. You could also use a kosher salt to perk up the flavor. The taste was much better today so I think I'll make it a day ahead if I'm going to take it to a party. The flavors really melded overnight in the fridge.







No comments:

Coping During Trying Times

How is everyone doing out there?  It's been a long time since I have posted but you know how it goes. Life sometimes detours and goe...