Monday, June 16, 2008

Poulet A La Moutarde De Dijon (Chicken in Mustard Sauce)

Tearing recipes out of magazines appears to be hobby of mine. It didn't begin as a hobby but, over time, this pile of recipes grew into what could now be called a collection. This is the pile known as, "I'll make it someday". I love to try new recipes but sometimes the idea never becomes reality. I get in a hurry and rely on old standards just to get a meal on the table. One of the great things about this blog is that is forces me out of my comfort zone and into a whole new world. It allows me to rediscover what simple, well prepared food really is.

I didn't have to work yesterday so I had all day to decide what to cook. It became like a bad case of writer's block. I couldn't think of anything. Do you ever have those days when you just can't decide what you're in the mood for? I went through "the collection" and nothing really caught my fancy. Then I remembered that tucked back into a sleeve of a folder was a recipe for a chicken in mustard sauce. I tore it out of Mary Engelbreit's Home Companion probably five or more years ago. I only tore out the page with the recipe so I can't tell you when it was published or who the recipe belongs to. What I can tell you is that this recipe is definitely going to be a repeat performer. It was simple to prepare, required few ingredients, was visually stimulating and tasted fabulous! Now I can't wait for my next excuse to have my family over for dinner.

Note: Because I don't know who authored the original recipe, I am printing it with the original ingredient list but will use my descriptions,instructions and modifications to tell you how I prepared it.

Poulet A La Moutarde De Dijon (Chicken in Mustard Sauce)


1 chicken (3 1/2 to 4 lbs), cut up, (breasts halved)
salt and pepper
2 T. butter
1 T. olive oil
1 C. sour cream or creme fraiche
1 T. dijon mustard
1 C. white wine
1 T. chopped,fresh tarragon


Modifications: I used boneless,skinless chicken breasts lightly dredged in flour and cubed since I was in a hurry and the chicken would cook faster. I used Bohemian Highway's California Pinot Grigio 2006 as my wine. I also added some chopped vidalia onion,shallots, and garlic and substituted dried,organic tarragon for the fresh.

In a heavy skillet, melt butter with oil and place the chicken that has been lighted floured. Add salt and pepper,onions,shallots and garlic along with the tarragon. Cook over a medium to medium-high heat until chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear. Remove chicken to a plate.Deglaze the pan with the wine. Then add the mustard and sour cream and mix gently. Allow the sauce to simmer for a few minutes. Add the chicken back to the pan so that each piece is well covered with the sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste and continue to simmer for a few minutes. Plate it with some of the tarragon or some fresh parsley for garnish.

Serve with a nice green veggie, perhaps asparagus and/or glazed carrots, and a good, crusty bread.

No comments:

Coping During Trying Times

How is everyone doing out there?  It's been a long time since I have posted but you know how it goes. Life sometimes detours and goe...