Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Zucchini Fries

Last night, we tried this terrific recipe from Weightwatchers.com. We have an abundance of Zucchini from our garden so we will definitely make these again. They were crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. We even tried dipping them into Trader Joe's Low Fat Marinara. I was in heaven and don't think I will ever crave a fried Mozzarella stick again, after eating these.

I tried to provide you with a link to the Weight Watchers Website so you could see the picture of the dish but now I can't find it on the site. I did email it to myself so I can forward it to you, if you send me a note.


Ingredients
4 sprays olive oil cooking spray
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 1/2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp table salt
3/4 cup dried bread crumbs, panko-variety suggested
2 medium zucchini, about 7-inches each, cut into 4 chunks, then each chunk halved
2 large egg white(s), whipped until frothy (almost soft peaks)


Instructions
Preheat oven to 425ºF. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. In a small bowl, mix together Italian seasoning, flour and salt. Place bread crumbs in another small bowl.
Dredge a zucchini fry in flour mixture and then dip into egg whites; dredge in bread crumbs. Place coated zucchini on prepared baking sheet and repeat with remaining ingredients; liberally coat with cooking spray.
Roast, turning once, until desired crispness, about 12 minutes. Yields about 8 fries per serving.


Notes
Use this technique with any summer squash or eggplant. It also works great with thick-cut onion rings or even green tomatoes.For extra crispy fries, increase the oven temperature to 500ºF and knock 2 minutes off the cooking time.

3 comments:

Michele said...

try your zucchini fries with a squeeze of lemon juice on top. :-) That's how my Mum used to make them when I was a little girl. Trader Joe's Marinara is fantastic stuff. I think you've got a great little blog..hope you don't mind me stopping by.

Jen said...

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to try it. We are hooked on these fries!

lunaburning said...

Hi, Jen.
I like your blog, and I'm thrilled to find someone on the foodie blogroll from my home town!
I made the zucchini fries and they are fantastic. I served them with Newman's Own Marinara, and baked buffalo wings. You're right, they're very remniscent of mozzarella sticks, and they along with the wings, satisfied my junk food craving, and made me feel all rebellious!
Keep up the good work, and don't get discouraged. Your blog is very cool!

Coping During Trying Times

How is everyone doing out there?  It's been a long time since I have posted but you know how it goes. Life sometimes detours and goe...