Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Posted by Picasa
For years, I swore that my vintage percolator was the only way to make coffee. It reminded me of my grandparents kitchen. Every evening, after supper, Grandpa would excuse himself from the table and would go into the kitchen to perk his coffee. I loved the smell and the sounds coming from this machine before I was even old enough to have coffee. In fact, I had never even seen a Mr. Coffee until I left for college.
Since college, I've owned several different brands and designs of the automatic and have never been really happy with them. The last one that we purchased actually grew mold and was stained in the water reservoir. It wasn't big enough to fit your hand in so you really couldn't dry it out. It went into the trash.
I think that I have finally found the perfect solution for me, The French Press. My mom, aka the "coffee snob" has been using one for quite a while but I remained ever loyal to my vintage Westinghouse percolator.
Recently, while scoping out the local Goodwill store for other peoples kitchen castoffs, I spotted it. It was brand new and came with a measuring scoop, a set of matching cups & spoons and had the directions all for $3.49. When I got home with my thrifty purchase, I read the directions. It seemed too simple to be true. I let it sit on the counter for a few days. I was slightly intimidated by it. Once I got up the nerve to brew that first pot, I was sold. The French Press makes a delicious, full bodied, pot of coffee. It's easy to clean, doesn't take up any room and looks nice enough that it can go on the table. I am in love and the "coffee snob" was right.

No comments:

Coping During Trying Times

How is everyone doing out there?  It's been a long time since I have posted but you know how it goes. Life sometimes detours and goe...