Saturday, July 5, 2008

Three Books Per Week

I'm a regular at our local library. I always bring home more books than I can read at one time so I thought that we might add a weekly column to Rediscovering featuring only three books per week. These are this weeks picks. Feel free to leave your comments and/or reviews. - Jen

1. Sandra Lee - Made From Scratch - The true story of how celebrity chef Sandra Lee went from being raised on food stamps to starring in her own TV show, Semi-Homemade Cooking, on the Food Network. Isbn 978-0-696-23919-9

In an effort to remain a positive human being, I will simply refer you to Bourdain's rant about Ms. Lee and the Food Network on Ruhlman's blog. I'm going to pass the buck to Bourdain since he probably has better liability insurance than I do.
http://blog.ruhlman.com/ruhlmancom/2007/02/guest_blogging_.html

2. Comfort Me with Apples - More adventures at the table by Ruth Reichl
Isbn 0-375-50195-9

I haven't started it yet because I'm still working on three other books. I really enjoyed her book, Garlic and Sapphires, so I'm looking forward to this one.

3. Don't Try This At Home - Culinary Catastrophes From The World's Greatest Chefs edited by Kimberly Witherspoon and Andrew Friedman Isbn 1-29691-070-4

So far, so good. I knew that I would love this book based on the chefs that are featured, including my fav- Tony Bourdain

2 comments:

ntsc The Art of The Pig said...

I followed the crumbs from Ruhlman's blog.

Re Sandra Lee, yes he probably has better insurance.

Concerning canning, which you mentioned on Ruhlman's blog. Somebody has started making a canner which can be used on smooth tops. Register here http://www.americastestkitchen.com/ibb/categoryindex.aspx?boardID=1 and ask.

I can and preserve food a lot. To the point of having done a whole dry cured ham, twice.

I'm also Foodie Blog Roll

Jen said...

Thanks for the tip. I was really disappointed when I found out about the smooth top issue. My parents gave me the stove and it's fairly new so I'm kinda stuck with it. Jen

Coping During Trying Times

How is everyone doing out there?  It's been a long time since I have posted but you know how it goes. Life sometimes detours and goe...