Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Hoarders

Hoarders


Has anyone else had the Hoarders inspired cleanout? Every time I watch the show, more clutter gets hauled out of this house by the bagfuls. My husband - a minimalist- is loving it.

The first thing to go was butter tubs and Cool Whip containers as this seemed to be a common trait of the shows participants. We threw away a large bag of them as move were not the type of plastic that can be recycled.

Next, I started going drawer by drawer and closet by closet, organizing and clearing out. My linen closet has never looked better.

I am slowly working my way through some old magazines that are stored neatly but I don't really have to keep them all. I could tear out the pages that are important, store them in a folder and recycle the magazine. So I started that project on Monday while watching...you guessed it...Hoarders.

I sympathize with those who suffer from this disease. It's tough when you have so many emotions wrapped up in stuff. It's hard to let something go that has a precious memory attached to it but we only have so much space. It's also hard to let something go when it's in perfectly good condition even if you don't use it.

So the rule now is this: When something new comes in...something must go out. It has to go into the yard sale pile or be immediately donated. I have to say that it's nice to open a cabinet or drawer and not have to dig through a bunch of stuff to find the one thing that you're looking for.

Can't wait to start organizing the yard sale. The stuff is in the garage until I get it together.

So let me ask? Do you watch the show and has it inspired you to clear the clutter?


P.S. You can watch episodes and clips of Hoarders at A&E's website











No comments:

Coping During Trying Times

How is everyone doing out there?  It's been a long time since I have posted but you know how it goes. Life sometimes detours and goe...