Monday, February 22, 2010

Dining Dilemma

I dream of having a set of matching chairs. I mean, is that too much to ask?

I don't want to get rid of the table. It was my grandma and grandpa's. Every holiday meal was shared at this table. But this dining room doesn't exactly scream...hip, urban couple live here.

The Pottery Barn catalog does nothing to help this discontent. The tables are all set perfectly for entertaining but if I really stop and think about it...it's a perceived lifestyle. I could replace my furniture and I still would not use it. It's not my lifestyle. We would still eat in the living room 99% of the time. It's just the two of us and with our crazy schedules, it just doesn't work for us.

In the five years that we have been in this house, we have used the dining room ...maybe five times.

In our Florida condo, we didn't even have a table and chairs unless you count the patio furniture. We had a breakfast bar with stools and didn't really even use that. A girl can dream but it's hard to justify the purchase of furniture that would never be used.

I have even thought about re-purposing the room for something else but I can't figure it out. The room is placed between the living room and kitchen so it's just a pass through between them. Any thoughts?
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Darcy said...

How about using your dining room for your office? Place the table along a wall and use it as a desk. Or you could bring a desk you already have into the room and use the table to spread big projects out on. Add a bookcase to the room and the room becomes an office/library.

I have a desk in the corner of my dining room along with a cupboard to store books in. My dining room table is then used for additional work space as needed.

I'm with you...I wouldn't purchase a new table for the sake of upgrading your image, especially when you have a table infused with family memories. My husband and I aquired a hundred year old table when we first married 25 years ago and have come to the conclusion that we can never get rid of it because it holds stories of our family along with those of the families that used it before us.

Jen said...

I put a huge bookcase along one wall but still don't use the room.

Yesterday, I saw a magazine that used the same table as a side table (with the leaves down) but then I would have a big empty room.

Part of the problem is that the table is too formal for us. I need something that's already had the crap beat out of it.

The other issue w/ making it an office is that there is only one outlet in the room. The house is 90years old so I would have to get some electrical work done to bring it up to speed but is still a possibility. I'll have to think on it.

Coping During Trying Times

How is everyone doing out there?  It's been a long time since I have posted but you know how it goes. Life sometimes detours and goe...