Sunday, January 10, 2010

Armchair Traveling


This week, most of the country has experienced the Arctic blast in some form or another. Ohio has been no exception. We had exceptionally mild weather until about 15 days ago. Since that time we have had snow each and every day along with gray skies(OK... well, maybe the sun did peak through a couple of times...but not for long). The temperature dipped into single digits last night. Good thing I have flannel sheets and a down comforter to snuggle under.

Since this is my first weekend - in a very long time - without some kind of obligation (looming writing deadlines, Christmas functions or work), I decided it would be a weekend of hibernation and armchair traveling. The local library has supplied me with four issues of Britain magazine so I'm headed for the Cotwolds, Cornwall and many other beautiful places in the UK.

I had the privilege to travel to the UK ten years ago and it was the trip of a lifetime. It was an anglophile's dream come true. I even got a glimpse of Prince Edward. Unfortunately, I was not there long enough to see all that I wanted to but hope to go back...someday.

Armchair traveling is a great way to mentally escape when you can't actually do it. Travel books allow me to live vicariously through others and dream of a life lived in a far away and maybe even exotic place. I love to spend a Sunday wrapped up in a blanket with a cup of coffee nearby, and escape with Peter Mayle to Provence, Frances Mayes to Tuscany, and Bill Bryson to anywhere (I love his humor). So if you're stuck inside, bored with the same old stuff on television, and are craving a change then try taking a trip without even getting out of those flannel PJ's and fuzzy slippers.

www.britain-magazine.com

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Coping During Trying Times

How is everyone doing out there?  It's been a long time since I have posted but you know how it goes. Life sometimes detours and goe...