Friday, July 10, 2009

Mmm...Mom. It's My Favorite!

When I was a child, I hated meatloaf. Not just a little. I mean, I really hated it! My complaining about it inspired my dad to "lay down the law". Nobody was to say anything bad about my mom's food. Looking back on it, he really took up for my mom and he was right, although I didn't see it that way at the time. We were lucky enough to have plenty of food and my mom took the time to make it. There should have been no complaints but you know kids. I remember hiding meatloaf in my napkin, moving it around the plate so it looked like I ate some and there was even an incident when I sat at the table for quite a while in a standoff with my parents over the meatloaf issue. Guess who won? They did although it wasn't a Mommy Dearest moment as the meatloaf did not re-appear on my plate for days and days. A little while after everyone left the table, I was excused.

Following Dad's new rule, my sister and I (born cynics) would sit down at the table and say, in our most sarcastic voices, "Mmm... Mom. Meatloaf it's my favorite". We still joke about it. What a couple of little smarty pants.

I gave up on meatloaf for a long time but then one day, my grandmother-in-law made meatloaf for dinner. Not wanting to be rude, I put a nice, polite sliver on my plate and then piled the rest of the plate high with potatoes and vegetables hoping she would not notice that I had bypassed the meatloaf. I gave it a taste and it was delicious. Moist, flavorful and surprisingly wonderful. Who knew meatloaf could be this good? From that time on, meatloaf was back in the game. She made several for me over the years and would even make them and freeze them in slices for me so I could grab a piece whenever the mood struck.

She finally gave me her recipe and I would love to share it with you. I think the key ingredient is Pepperidge Farm Herbed Stuffing. It keeps it moist and adds a great flavor to the loaf.

Best Meatloaf Ever

2 lbs. ground beef
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 -2 cups Pepperidge Farm Stuffing
2 T. Lipton onion soup (I sometimes use fresh onions)
1/3 cup catsup
2/3 cup water

Combine all ingredients until thoroughly mixed and place in a loaf pan.
Bake about 1 1/2 hours in a 350 degree oven.

Note: This meatloaf makes the best cold sandwiches with the leftovers. Great for a summertime lunch.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Coping During Trying Times

How is everyone doing out there?  It's been a long time since I have posted but you know how it goes. Life sometimes detours and goe...